Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gary Webb Scholarship Fund

Gary Webb's friends sent this along. Webb was a reporter downtown and in Columbus before he left for the West Coast.

Dear Journalists and Friends,

My family,Gary's mother Anita,brother Kurt,children Ian,Eric,Christine,and I are writing you today with a request to help honor my husband Gary Webb.As you might know Gary died tragically December 9th 2004,at age 49.I have been searching for an appropriate way to remember and honor him,paying tribute to his great love for journalism.

The University of Missouri School of Journalism,with the help of faculty member Steve Weinberg,former executive director of Investigative Reporters and Editors has offered to host an annual scholarship fund for a promising young student of journalism.I can think of no better way to honor Gary,to reinforce his journalistic values,and to celebrate the successes he enjoyed during his career. My children and I would participate in helping to select the student;this is something to which we are all very much looking forward to as a way of remembering Gary.

We need to raise $10,000 for the scholarship to be self-perpetuating.To all you journalists,I know that your salaries can be tight,but I hope you will consider a donation to honor Gary's spirit. This scholarship is a way to help others,so that maybe a little bit of good can come from a terrible sadness.

If you are interested,please write a check to the University of Missouri-Columbia,and add to the memo line "Gary Webb Fund."
Send the gift to:
Catey Terry,M.A.
Director of Development
Missouri School of Journalism
102 Neff Hall Columbia,MO 65211-1200

Thank you very much for considering this request,and please don't hesitate to send this email along to someone who knew Gary,or cared about his work.

Sincerely,Susan Bell Webb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Margie & Rosie:

I still have a desk that Gary gave me, and I used it for many years as a reporter for The Plain Dealer. He dug it out of some junk that was being trashed. There is tape on the back in his handwriting over each bolt hole that told me how to put it together. I treasure it.

Bill