Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Strang's farewell


On Nov. 22, 2006, Editorial writer Jim Strang walked out the door. Here is his farewell note:

Friends:

I was going to write a thank-you note for the fine going-away party last week, and I truly enjoyed that bash.

But then I got to thinking: I've been enjoying a party here at Ohio's Largest for 33 fun-filled years, rubbing minds daily with some of the finest people ever to grace our craft.

George Condon. Chuck Heaton. Hal Lebowitz. Jim Flanagan. Bob Daniels. Lou Mio, who was so instrumental in getting me hired back in 73. Chris Jindra, Dave Molyneaux and the days of the Swamp. Don Bean. E.J. Kissell. John P. Coyne. Bob McAuley, who helped me back out of a barful of angry, drunk truck drivers during that strike in '74. Bob Snyder. Dennis Ryerson. Bob Stock. Ray Osrin. Mary Anne Sharkey. All my colleagues here on the editorial page -- and even Brent Larkin. The list of wonderful people goes on and on; the song the presses sang every night will never end.

But I won't be singing along with those engines of truth and justice any more. My band is off to its next gig. I pray you remember me as fondly as I will remember you. I'll see your work, if not your faces, every day, and I expect to see great things.

My love and admiration to you all

Jim Strang

Hortator@centurytel.net

-30-

No comments: