Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bunches of lunch bunchers

LEFT: Lou Mio, former assistant metro editor, gestures to Millie Matteucci, formerly of the Friday magazine, while a cameraless ex-photographer Bill Wynne and art depart chief Vince Matteucci stand by to interpret.








Meanwhile, former travel editor Dave Molyneaux chats with Goodyear, Ariz. resident Rich Passen, formerly of sports, probably about his travel web site.









Former State reporter Richard Ellers welcomes the group.


















It included former garden editor Irma Bartel and Millie Matteucci.











That's Carol Malinowski, formerly of layout and Sunday Mag, next to ex- computer assistant reporting editor Tom Gaumer.










Former reporter Doris O'Donnell talks to Molly Callahan, former night copy editor and Doug Kramer, who's still working on the copy desk.








A view of the group at Viva Barcelona.





























1 comment:

Stephen G. Esrati said...

Here's what I sent out to my PD retiree list"


At yesterday's CULT lunch Bob Dolgan asked me (Steve Esrati)
about the funniest things I remember in the city
room.
I started with the big hoopla for Josephine
Robertson's big exposé about drugs. It turned out
to be a reprint of the Physician's Desk Reference.
Then I told about the fuss they made about an
upcoming Mary Hirschfeld report on Cuba. When I
read it, it hit me that she had not been to Cuba
(I had). When I challenged her on it, she said
she had flown over Cuba.
Finally, Dolgan wanted to know about the Bill
Davis caper. The best version I have ever heard
of this came from Jim Cox, who was on it. (Bill
Davis, a copy boy who claimed falsely that he
was a student at Hiram College, took about 40
people to Washington for the "embassy" party of a
black African nation celebrating its
independence. He charged airline tickets, train
tickets, tuxedo rentals, and more to The PD. When
the FBI caught up with him in Hawaii, Managing
Editor Russ Reeves refused to press charges.)
There were about 40 people there, a huge turnout.